- James A. Bonnett, 28, of 2305 E. 19th St. N. No. 7A was charged with two counts of fifth degree theft after he allegedly twice took a fully-cooked pizza and chocolate chip cookies from the deli area at Newton Hy-Vee on Friday. Store officials allegedly observed him take the items at 8:51 a.m. Friday but were unable to stop before he left the store. He was again observed allegedly taking the same items from deli at 3:25 p.m. at which time store officials were able to gain vehicle information. Police found him at his residence at 4:25 p.m. Friday where he was cited. Total value of the items was $33. He was released to appear.
- Stevie L. Skow, 24, of Newton was charged with public intoxication at 12:47 a.m. Saturday after being called to a residence in the 800 block of East 16th Street North on a report of an intoxicated individual. Skow allegedly left the residence but was located by police at a residence in the 1400 block of North 11th Avenue East where she was charged. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
- Two people were charged with public intoxication after police were called to the 600 block of East Eighth Street South at 1:52 a.m. Saturday on a report of an altercation. Upon arrival, police charged Joel A. McCalester, 22, of Newton with public intoxication after a field test registered a blood alcohol content of .168 percent. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail. Trent L. Little, 21, of Monroe fled the scene on foot with police chasing and catching him near the Newton High School. He was charged with public intoxication and interference with official acts. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
- Chantell C. Rice, 26, of Newton was cited for operating a motor vehicle while license suspended, no vehicle registration and no proof of insurance after police stopped her vehicle at 2:54 p.m. Friday in the 100 block of First Avenue West for no brake lights. She was released to appear.
- Shelby L. Eaton, 19, of Colfax was cited for failure to obey a stop light following a three-vehicle accident reported at 12:22 p.m. Saturday in the 1400 block of First Avenue East. Eaton was traveling west on First Avenue when she allegedly failed to stop at the stop light at the intersection of 14th Street where she collided with a southbound vehicle driven by Richard E. Conlin, 63, of Des Moines. Eaton's vehicle continued through the intersection and struck an eastbound vehicle driven by Bradley Ratcliff, 30, of Newton. Damage to Eaton's and Conlin's vehicles were estimated at $3,000 while Ratcliff's vehicle sustained no damage. No injuries were reported.